Funding & the local offer

Our educational packages for young people aged 16 - 25 years are normally supported through government funding.

Most of our students in this age group can access the necessary funding to support their studies and wider support services. For many students this can also include residential accommodation on site or transport to and from College.

Education, Health and Care Plans

Where appropriate, all school leavers will now normally have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which replaces the previous Section 139a Report. This should be completed in partnership with the applicant, their parent or carer, the school and associated professionals.

The EHCP will support families and carers in agreeing which college is the preferred progression route. Although you may be encouraged to choose a local provider, you may wish to name a specialist college place such as Henshaws, which provides a specialist environment, facilities, resources and an educational package with wider support services.

Using the EHCP, our dedicated team will undertake an assessment of applicant needs, propose a package that we consider will support the educational objectives and wider health and care needs and advise the local authority of our recommendations. The allocation of funds will normally be determined by your home local authority.

Further support for parents

Parents and carers can now apply to become individual budget holders. Further guidance on this is available via the Independent Parental Special Education Advice website.

We can support our students to access the national bursary fund. This limited fund can help to cover the costs of transport, learning materials, specialist equipment and resources related to their study programme at Henshaws. Please contact us for more information.

Advice and guidance for school leavers and those up to the age of 25 is available via your local Connexions or similar service, or by contacting our transitions team.

View of the front of Henshaws Specialist College with wide expanse of lawn at the front leading up to the main entrance. Visitors can explore the campus when you book a College visit.
The local offer

The Children and Families Act 2014 aims to transform the system for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. As part of the reforms, local authorities must provide a local offer of support. The local offer brings together information about services young people and their families can access from birth to 25, including providers of specialist education, healthcare and social care.

The services we provide at Henshaws College will form part of every local authority’s local offer. The document below contains answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about how we deliver our programmes as part of your local offer.

Henry Inman

Transitions Manager

Contracts and Commisioning Officer Gareth Round smiling

Gareth Round

Contracts and Commissioning Officer

Transitions Administrator Nichola McCarthy smiling

Nichola McCarthy

Transitions Administrator

Our Transitions Team are here to answer any questions you have about applying to Henshaws. We can also offer guidance on funding, assessment and Education, Health and Care Plans. Please get in touch.

Call: 01423 886451

Make an online enquiry

Explore the rest of our College pages

Home | LearningLiving | Visit us Who we supportFacilities | Specialist support