Henshaws volunteer and Trustee Helen Brazier is back to share with us a typical morning on Henshaws’ information desk at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital.
Our support often begins at the hospital, right at the point of diagnosis. Our Patient Support Officers are based at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital (MREH) five days a week and Altrincham Hospital two days a week.
When a person is diagnosed with an eye condition, it can be hard news to take in.
Our Patient Support Officers provide emotional and practical support right when people need it most. We offer:
- Someone to talk to in confidence
- A quiet meeting place in the hospital
- Support during your appointment and a link with your consultant if you need to know more, or need something explained further
- Medical information explained in a clear way that’s easy to understand
- An opportunity to discuss your concerns
- Information about practical help, advice on local services, equipment and benefits
- Help with the registration process
Your consultant, GP or social worker might refer you to our Patient Support Officers, but you don’t need to have a referral to access the service – it is open to all.
We also have a Family Patient Support Officer who is based at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital once a week.
"We've got that safe space for people to come and talk to us that's away from the clinic. At the end of the day, everyone's emotions are so different so the key thing is we listen, we let them talk, and we take it from there."
Zoe, Patient Support Officer
Meet the team
It is best to speak to a Patient Support Officer when you are at the hospital. If you would prefer, you can phone to make an appointment, or you can have a phone appointment from home.
Our volunteer help desk and Patient Support Officers are at MREH five days a week (Zoe: Monday – Wednesday, Gail: Thursday – Friday) and Altrincham two days a week (Gail – Monday – Tuesday).
To arrange an appointment or find out more, contact our patient support office on 0161 276 5515. Our Patient Support Officers may be with someone when you call, so please leave a message and they will get back to you.