(Even more) fun activities and ideas to keep your VI child entertained during the holidays
Getting stuck for ideas on what activities to do with your children over the summer holidays? We've got you covered!
It’s officially summer and the kids are now back at home and out of school until September. Following our popular tips and advice last year, we’ve rounded up some even more fun activities to keep your little ones busy during the holidays which are ideal for your child with a visual impairment.
Check out our ideas below for some sensory and creative activities to get involved with over the next few weeks –
You can make learning new skills fun, such as cooking or motor skill development, with different interactive games:
Music is fantastic for children – it lets them get creative and show their own personal expression. You can even make your own instruments and have your own unique sound:
Gardening is a brilliant sensory experience, and your kids can get involved with the touch, feel and smell of being outside (hopefully, in the sun)!
Arts & crafts activities
Get creative with different crafts project; find inspiration below with different tactile artwork for your children to enjoy.
Social activities and games
Get involved with an accessible game for everyone to play, or join in with one of the children & families events below:
- DIY prize punch game
- Join Blind Children UK’s ‘Family Movement Matters activity break‘ on 9th-11th August at our Specialist College, where you’ll get to meet Guide Dogs and join in with different sports and activities! (Booking form here)
- Get involved with some of the Henshaws activities below:
Children & Families events at Henshaws
We have perfectly tailored activities for children and families with a visual impairment. They’re the perfect opportunity to meet other families with the same experiences as you, plus they’re always lots of fun! Some highlights include:
- Family Olympic Sports Day on 11th August – Join us for an Olympic Celebration at Stretford Sports Village with egg and spoon races, hoola hooping and much more
- Family trip to ‘Gruffalo’s Child’ on 18th August – Come enjoy an audio described viewing of the ‘Gruffalo’s Child’ at the Lowry Theatre, plus a touch tour where we’ll get to meet the characters and see the set
- Olympic Rio Carnival Family Fun Day on 23rd August – Join in the Rio Olympic spirit with our Carnival Family Fun Day
If you’re interested in finding out more about these events or want to share some ideas of your own, we’d love to hear them! Contact our Children & Families team on 0300 222 5555.
We can't do it without you
Henshaws rely on voluntary donations; our work just wouldn’t be possible without people like you. Your support empowers local people living with sight loss and a range of other disabilities to increase their independence, achieve their dreams, and go beyond expectations.