Volunteering at Henshaws
We wouldn’t be able to run our life-changing services without the fantastic work of our volunteers. Whether it's at an event or behind-the-scenes, find out how you could join our amazing volunteering team.
You can help us make a real difference.
We are looking for enthusiastic and reliable individuals to help us with our busy activities, services and events calendar. This can be as a regular commitment or as little as a couple of hours, or a full day actively helping us at an event.
Volunteer roles can include:
- taking a leadership role as a Trustee and making sure the charity is running well and is doing what it was set up to do
- online Knowledge Village researcher and contributor – to support finding and uploading relevant sight loss and disability literature to our Knowledge Village.
- helping out at Fundraising events
- pre-event promotion
- acting as a route marshal
- selling raffle tickets
- helping at a water station
- selling programmes
- helping with car parking
- assisting with pre-event set up and/or post-event clearance
- collecting money
Volunteers are an integral part of the Henshaws team and receive appropriate training, support and development.
How to get involved
If you are interested in applying to be a volunteer, please contact us and this will be passed to the relevant department so that a manager can speak to any applicants and assess suitability.
Before you can start volunteering, Henshaws will want to:
• meet you to find out about your interests and skills.
• match your skills and interests with suitable roles.
• offer you an appropriate induction or training.
• arrange a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check if your volunteer role will involve direct contact with students or service users.
Please note that due to the nature of our work we are not able to take volunteers under the age of 16.
What skills do you need?
• Great interpersonal skills
• Practical skills and initiative
• A willingness to work as part of a team
• Enthusiasm and a pro-active attitude
• A flexible approach
***Please note that volunteering opportunities will be limited during COVID-19 restrictions.***
Why not get your business involved with volunteering as well? It makes for a great team-building activity and is ideal for CSR, all whilst making a significant contribution to supporting those with disabilities to go beyond expectations.Find out more about corporate support for Henshaws
“Having been such an outgoing person before I really wanted to do something with my newly returned confidence and so a member of Henshaws staff suggested I get involved with volunteering and run a social group for other people like me.
It was perfect really, I got to give back to Henshaws after they’d helped me so much and I could also do something that made me feel like me again!”