Training and skills workshops
Develop new skills to improve your confidence and help you to volunteer or find a job. Our training and skills workshops include cafe, horticulture, I.T. and woodwork.
The Art Maker cafe is a real licensed cafe that is open to the public. We serve breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks throughout the day. Our menu is designed so that you can take part in every stage of the process. You will learn how to:
- Prepare and cook food including soups, hot meals, sandwiches and cake
- Develop communication skills through taking orders and serving visitors
- Improve your customer service skills in a working cafe environment.
In our horticulture workshop you will work as part of a team to help maintain our kitchen gardens and woodland walk.
- Develop a range of gardening skills including planting, watering, cutting, potting on and plant care
- Grow a variety of plants to sell in our garden centre
- Learn about the process of planting from seed to plate.
In our I.T. sessions we will support you to use computers to promote your independence in your everyday life. You can participate in group projects or concentrate on your own interests:
- Learn to use Microsoft Office for word processing, publications and email
- Develop confidence to use the internet for both entertainment and research
- Engage with social networks including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Learn to make a range of functional or decorative items from wood including bird boxes, bug hotels, garden furniture and toys.
- Develop skills in using hand and machine tools
- Improve your spatial awareness and dexterity
- Work on your practical skills such as shaping and sanding, cutting, assembling, painting and finishing
- Learn to work as a team and develop your social skills
- Develop an awareness of health and safety procedures.