Hospital support

Our support often begins at the hospital, right at the point of diagnosis. Our Patient Support Officers are based at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital (MREH) five days a week and Altrincham Hospital two days a week.

When a person is diagnosed with an eye condition, it can be hard news to take in.

Our Patient Support Officers provide emotional and practical support right when people need it most. We offer:

  • Someone to talk to in confidence
  • A quiet meeting place in the hospital
  • Support during your appointment and a link with your consultant if you need to know more, or need something explained further
  • Medical information explained in a clear way that’s easy to understand
  • An opportunity to discuss your concerns
  • Information about practical help, advice on local services, equipment and benefits
  • Help with the registration process.

Your consultant, GP or social worker might refer you to our Patient Support Officers, but you don’t need to have a referral to access the service – it is open to all.

Image of Manchester Royal Eye Hospital

"We've got that safe space for people to come and talk to us that's away from the clinic. At the end of the day, everyone's emotions are so different so the key thing is we listen, we let them talk, and we take it from there."

Gail demonstrating equipment

Meet the team

At this time of the COVID-19 pandemic, a face-to-face appointment may not be possible. We are still here to help and are available for phone appointments and enquiries.
It is best to speak to a Patient Support Officer when you are at the hospital. If you would prefer, you can phone to make an appointment, or you can have a phone appointment from home. To arrange an appointment or find out more please contact:

Phone Henshaws: 0300 222 5555
Phone Manchester Royal Eye Hospital (MREH): 0161 276 5515

Our Patient Support Officers may be with someone when you call, so please leave a message and they will get back to you.

Read some of our hospital support stories

My experience of eye surgery

Eye surgery is a scary prospect and although we know it can be life changing, it’s also normal to worry about the potential risks. Zoe White shares her experience with us.

Explore our Community Services pages

What we offerGroups | Advice & infoChildren & Young People | Newsletter | Jobs