Who we are
Henshaws is a northern charity supporting people living with sight loss and a range of other disabilities to go beyond expectations.
We believe that, wherever they are, everyone has the right to an independent and fulfilling life. Our support, advice and training enables people and their families to build skills, develop confidence, help each other and look forward to a more positive future.
We use pictures and stories to tell people what life is like for our Service Users, Students and Artmakers and their families. This can inspire them to support us by raising money or join as a service user, Service Users, Students and Artmakers.
When we use the term “you,” it’s meant to encompass both yourself or the person you are supporting.
We would like to record your story through words, photo, film, or sound. We will not pay you for this and you will not own the content gathered.
Your story may contain or reference information about you that is sensitive or private, but you can always tell us if there is information you do not want to share.
We may use your picture, film, or story on the internet, television, in newspapers, our fundraising materials and publications both in physical print and digital/online. We might not tell your story, or only tell parts of it. We will keep your information in a safe and private place.
We may use your story including pictures as:
- A record of the activity or the event (social media and website)
- In a written evaluation report of the activity or event that will be viewed by Henshaws and funders
- publicity material for further activities or events on leaflets, websites, magazines or social media
- to be shared on Henshaws website including our Hints and Tips
- Marketing and Fundraising appeals and campaigns
- Illustrations of the activities or events in published articles
- Future grant applications
- Shared with partner organisations where the event is a joint event.
- Shared with 3rd parties such as marketing agencies working on behalf of Henshaws.
If you have been photographed/Videoed, Henshaws may use the photograph for 5 years from the point of photography. However on occasion items of print/signage may still be in circulation after this date but no new pieces will be produced using your image.
Henshaws will rarely use your story after five years but we would like to keep your information on file with restricted access for limited
situations in which we may revisit your story. If you are happy for us to use your story after five years please choose the option to opt in in our form.
Our promise to you
When sharing photographs, videos and accompanying case studies with external people and organisations, Henshaws will always endeavour to:
- Portray our service users, staff and supporters in a positive light. Our aim is always to celebrate successes, show progress and share honest stories.
- Ensure that we do not share details or surnames of any child or adult in an image, on video, on our website, or in printed publications, without good reason. For example, we may include the full name of an awards winner if we have their consent.
- Discuss with you at the time of taking photographs, videos or notes for a case study, how we can include any relevant personal details e.g. about your disability or visual impairment to ensure that you are happy with what can be shared.
If you change your mind
We understand that you might change your mind in the future. You can contact us at any time if you do not want us to tell your story or have any questions or complaints about how your story is being used please contact our team on [email protected]
If you let us know you have changed your mind, we will not use your story in future communications. We may not be able to withdraw images already published.
Examples of how your image might be used
Statement of Consent
Please tick the relevant boxes below to show whether or not you give your consent for us to share your information and use photographs, videos and case studies in the ways stated above, and sign the form as indicated.